Sunday, April 24, 2011

The passing of Lopon Peter Lieberson

Lopon Peter Lieberson
This past week was marked by the death after a 5-year battle with cancer of modern classical composer Peter Lieberson. He was also was one of my dharma teachers, and a great example as a practitioner and as an artist. You would never know by the un-pretentious way he carried himself how much of a 'big deal' he was in the modern classical world.  Officially, as one of  Khandro Rinpoche's senior students, he was "Lopon Peter" - but you would would never know that either by the un-pretentious way he carried himself.  I only got to 'talk shop' about music and the creative process with him a little bit, which I of course regret now.  The best thing I suppose I could do now is let this be a reminder of 'The Second Reminder' that he taught about at the behest of Khandro Rinpoche.  Anything else I say wouldn't really be so eloquent, so I'll let the New York Times obituary and the write-up from Waylon Lewis's "Elephant Journal" do the rest of the talking.


Peter Lieberson, Composer Inspired by Buddhism, Dies at 64
That foreign yet visceral language we call music. [Peter Lieberson]

No comments: