Friday, July 18, 2008

A little reminder of the 2nd Reminder - The end of "Six Feet Under"





Ladies and Gents, the haunting brilliant ending of the series "Six Feet Under." I always go back to this clip when I have momentarily forgotten that "Death is real, it comes without warning, this body will soon be a corpse" as the Karma Kagyus say.
The first time I saw this, I had to just sit down in a darkened room after the camera pans up at the end to that ominous low minor note drone. Wow. When people talk about the power of art, THIS is a good example.

Since I drive the exact same car Claire does in the clip, I sometimes throw on "that song" on the album "Color the small one" by Sia (an excellent album for driving at night, btw) when I am starting my car to go somewhere and get reminded that there's only so much time, so is what I am doing/thinking REALLY that important?

As one of the old masters said, "there are only two questions you need to ask about every action of body, speech, and mind (or "thought, word, and deed", if you prefer the New Testament phrasing :)). 1) Is this action helping another sentient being? and 2) Will this action be of help at the moment of death?"

I'm not there yet...
-lwwd

No comments: