Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Practice Life

Ok, I promised to share my practice life, so he's the Cliff Notes version (or, for those who know some of the Zen stories in the past, the Blue Cliff Record's notes version. :))

So, away we go...

 Waking Up

In the traditions I am part of, one should try to orient oneself from the first moment one is awake to be thinking far beyond the usual constrictions of "what am I going to do for ME today?" It's very important to do this from the get-go. We all have had days where we fall out of bed or mis-step on a shoe or something, and pretty much our whole day is colored darker because of that. So, instead, I do something to go the other direction.

Traditionally, there are a number of liturgies which one is supposed to recite first thing in the morning. As much as I have tried them, I can't commit any of these to memory. However, Lama Roar at Lotus Garden during one weekend program taught the following version, which I -have- been able to make part of myself.

So, Here is what I do pretty much the very first moment I am awake every morning. (Unless it's being woken by something like a cat pooping on the bed. :))

1) Sit in the 4,5 or 6 points meditation posture. (Depending on how my body feels, and if full Lotus comes easily that particular day).

2) Let my mind settle, usually by following 21 breaths in-and-out as described in the classic Jamgon Kongtrol text on LoJong (Mind Training), The Great Path of Awakening. 1

3) Doing 9 Yogic Breaths- 3 in-an-out holding the left nostril, 3 in-an-out holding the right nostril, and 3 in-an-out letting the nose alone. This is a focusing technique that apparently dates WAY back, to the old Vedic sacrifice religion. It's said to be emptying 'stale' air out and bringing in fresh air.

4) Generate strong compassion and rest in it – something that really opens your heart. This is relative bodhichitta. I have several friends right now who are battling cancer or in remission, so they are a big cause for compassion (in this context, the wish that someone else may be free of suffering) to arise.
I generally do a recitation from the Buddha's Metta Sutra to help it kick in:

May all beings be happy! Weak or strong, without exception, small or great, seen or unseen, nearby or far away, alive or still to be born - May all beings be entirely happy!

May nobody despise anyone anywhere, may no one wish harm to any single creature out of anger or hatred or jealousy!

May we cherish all creatures as a mother would her only child! May our loving thoughts fill the entire world, above, below, and all around, without limit!

May we have a boundless goodwill to the whole world, unrestricted, without hatred or hostility!

5) Visualize lama on top of head, pray that you may give birth to compassion and bodhichitta and take refuge.

6) Guru yoga -  Dissolving one's lama or root teacher, who embodies to you enlightened mind itself,into the crown of your head, and then resting afterwards. This is considered 'absolute bodhichitta' practice.   

The most important point is to generate a real feeling, a real wish for the lama to be here to help us generate loving-kindness/compassion.

After that, I rest for a bit. Then, get up, feed animals, make tea, etc.

Morning Practice

A little later, there are standard 'prayers' I do. It's a little different to call them prayers, since most of them aren't TO anybody, for the most part. Even those that are to someone (usually the lineages I am part of) are really ultimately a way to connect with that which I already have, but is just obscured.

For those who know this stuff, my morning routine:

Metta Sutra (again)
7-Line Supplication to Padmasambhava
Mindrolling Lineage Supplication
Supplication to the Takpo Kagyu
Ngondro Refuge practice
Another Refuge prayer
ANOTHER Refuge prayer  (Refuge is important :))
The Four Immeasurables
Bodhisattva Vow

I also have a few lists of rules and reminders. In this tradition, all rules are reminders themselves, really, of thing to do or not do simply to avoid suffering.
These include:
  • the Upisaka vow rules - The best version I've ever found comes from Thcht Naht Hahn.
  • a one-page summary of the 27 Instances in which the Indian sage Shantideva said that, when you find yourself doing any of them, "one should remain like a log with body, speech and mind."
  • Thoughts to Cultivate Awakened Mind - This was a list adapted from one of the early sutras listing ways to make nearly every normal activity a reminder to view the world through an altruistic dharmic prism.
  • some of the Lojong slogans from a list of them I received at the 1999 Kha ndro Rinpoche Gateway program. 
  • Also in the morning are contemplations on the Four Reminders and Four Immeasurables, which I have covered earlier.
During the Day

During the day, all the rules and reminders fire off, shaking my mind out of the usual ignorant blah,blah,blah most people are in. Some days I do a better job than others. :)

Evening Practice

In the evening, there are some practices to be done.  First of all is some more straight sitting, since if mind isn't present, nothing else I do is gonna make a hell of a lot of sense.  Then, there is "Protectors" practice, which is unique to the Vajrayana tradition.  It's a little difficult to explain briefly, so it's best of you just read my earlier entry on the Protectors for some context.

For those keeping track at home, I do a couple different choices:

1) If I am really doing well, I do at least 1/2 hour of practice. This includes the "Brief Lightning Flash of Activities", better known as the short practice of Achi Choki Drolma practice, main protector of the Drikung Kagyu; parts of the Dam chen Chi tor, the shortened protectors practice from the Min Droll Ling tradition done every night in it's entirety out at Lotus Garden retreat center; the one-page practices of Four-armed Mahakala and Vetali from Shambhala; and a short practice of contemplation of one's own death from Acharya Judy Leif.

2) If I am pressed for time (or, to be bluntly honest, spent too much time on after work errands, cleaning, and watching Keith Olberman /Rachael Maddow /Jon Stewart/ Stephen Colbert and/or on Facebook, like I did tonight :)) I do a much shortened version of the one-page practices of Four-armed Mahakala and Vetali from Shambhala; a one-page 'prayer' to Achi, and then the brief closing protectors practice from Shambhala.  I often do five-minute version in bed (which I will do after I finish this entry tonight).

Sleep

There are a couple different practices I've learned to do to take practice into sleep. The more concise of these is to:
1) do a little shamatha to get the mind to be one-pointed, and not drifting from thing to keep me awake to thing to keep me awake.
2) do some tong len "sending and receiving" practice.
3) Simply let the mind rest as it is, without altering it.  This is also known as the 'maha mudra' or 'Shamhala Level 5' shamatha practice.  
I then go to sleep with that awareness.

This is said to be among the best preparations for death possible, to go into sleep in this way, treating sleep like death every night. In theory, if one practices like this, then death itself shouldn't be all that hard. :)

Anyway, that's most of my tricks.  I hope they are useful for someone else out there.
-JTR

footnotes:

1.
 FYI, I still think that is the most profound, useful teachings I have ever received. If asked, I think everyone - no matter what their belief (or non-belief)- could benefit from getting a copy of Pema Chodron's book on this topic, "Start Where You Are."





No comments: