Friday, February 6, 2009

25 random-ass things

Ok, we've all seen this thing by now. You know the drill. I thought this Facebook thing was mildly amusing enough to put on here as an entry. enjoy... ?

1. I have a fear of clowns. This stems from when I was five or six (?), and the 'lost children' area at an air show at Andrew's Air Force base was, for some sick reason, tended by clowns, who made sure the kids wouldn't leave. I thought they were going to take me away from my parents.

2. I have a twin brother. We alternate being the 'evil twin' every other week.

3. We used to have a game called "the vacuum game", wherein we each would try to knock the other one's legs out from under him with the vacuum cleaner while vacuuming. Neither of us ever won. But, on the plus side, I still do the vacuuming as an adult...

4. My eyes change color from blue to yellow to green. Of all the dumb mutant powers to have, this and my college ability to know where in Somerset dorm the Procolino's pizza man was going to visit next must surely top the list.

5. When I was in college on summer break, I went with some of my friends and tried to tip a cow. A word of advice: they don't tip. Another word of advice: Have you ever noticed how many Darwin Awards begin with the phrase "Some young men were drinking, and one of them had the 'brilliant' idea to..."?

6. To be bluntly honest, when I was growing up, I alternated 35% Lisa Simpson, 45% Millhouse, and 20% Ralph Wiggum.

7. I apparently stayed up and watched Andy Kaufman's infamous run-in on Letterman with Jerry "the King" Lawler,
and it made a big impression. His rule about "if you play a role, never...break...character...EVER" had a lasting impact.
Though, in retrospect, I did kind of let my alter-egos run a little wild until I got serious about dharma practice.

8. I stopped being a purely reactionary being and became sentient in 1989.

9. I am a multi-instrumentalist, as is my brother. For the past few years, I've mostly been a bass player. Just like this guy in a classic Kids in the Hall sketch (featuring Kevin McDonald in an over-the-top impression of Robert Smith of the Cure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaBGu7Mlvo

10. Unlike the bassist in the above clip, I've never been attracted to "the good looking girl", but always preferred her slightly bigger, somewhat geeky friend. For the most part, I don't really 'notice' unless she's at least size 10, and glasses are a big plus, not a minus.

11. I've looked for amps that go up to 11, but never could afford them.

12. I used to play a Hammond organ. I've always though organs just sound so awesome.
A Hammond through a rotating Leslie speaker (or a chorus pedal set to impersonate a Leslie:)) hits the same frequencies as a distorted electric guitar, but without the emotional baggage to "RAWWWWWWKKKKKK!!!!!" Plus, as opposed to 'pianist' or 'keyboard player', 'organist' just sounds cooler. The organ intro to The Band's "Chest Fever" is just about the coolest thing ever. I used to know almost every organ part from the Doors and The Band.

13. Unfortunately, if you play Hammond organ in a 2nd or 3rd rate band, you have to carry it around yourself. Even the "Porta-B" portable version (nicknamed "the Black Beast") is 244 pounds (in two parts). Hauling it around left me with two herniated disks, which still bother me to this day. The organ itself is on semi-permanent loan to the owner of the studio where my last band, the Number Nine Line, practiced and recorded a decade ago.

14. I grew up around trains, especially during the twilight of the mainline steam excursions on the east coast in the late 70's, 80's, and a little bit of the 90's. I'm not ashamed of it at all. On vacations, my wife has put up with me going to trolley museums and finding abandoned railroad relics. It's part of who I am. But no, I will never start wearing a #@@#$ engineers hat.

15. I have, for over a decade, been a serious practitioner of what is commonly called 'Tibetan Buddhism'. I avoided it for many years because of the perceived 'trendiness' of it. However, through some auspicious coincidences I describe on my blog in the entry "how the black swan came to the lake", I didn't find it, it found me.

16. Chogyum Trungpa's now out-of-print book "Dharma Art" is my Bible.

17. My favorite Biblical book is the Gospel of Thomas, which didn't make it into the book itself (except as a source for Matthew and Luke).

18. I have watched Twin Peaks all the way through twice. I still don't know what the hell that ending was all about.

19. I used to have the album cover of Issac Hayes' "Black Moses" hanging on my wall at home.

20. To me, the obvious rhyme for "heart" is "lawn dart".

21. In one of my old bands, we started out a Towson TV appearance reciting the "Take care, beware...PULL THE STRINK! PULL THE STRINK." monologue Bela Lugosi did in the movie "Glen or Glenda" (which was redone wonderfully in the move "Ed Wood".)

22. I am finishing this up at 1 AM after getting up for a bathroom break. I think that counts as addiction at this point.

23. Speaking of addiction, my name is Luther, and I am addicted to olive oil. I use it as salad dressing, on pizza, on sandwiches...but it's good for you...right?

24. I've never watched a full episode of "24". I'm sure it's good, but I simply don't watch any network TV anymore. (Only nightly TV is "the Daily Show/ Colbert Report" 8 PM rerun from the night before and a little bit of Rachel Maddow).

25. I heard there was a government-funded study in the early part of this century to try to discover why belly-button lint is blue...I don't know if I want that to be true or not.

26. I once dressed as Brak from 'Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast" for a Halloween party (at 'The Mansion' in Baltimore hosted by Skizz in the mid-late 90's, if anyone remembers those). I walked off the porch and fell about a foot because I made the eyeholes too small on the mask.

27. This has gone on long enough.

No comments: